Topic: 2017 Mike Stewart Pipeline Invitational

the waiting period starts today for the Pipe comp.  forecast, at least on surfline had today through Monday in the "good to excellent" range.  sounds like it will be some pieced together livestream of the event.  saw something that there might be a livestream here:  https://www.instagram.com/alex.perezz/

otherwise it will be clips and bits from APB and others.  do we know what riders from Cali made it over?  saw Matty was on the invite list.  Did Grodzen get funded?  Murdock in?  best to all, hope it pumps and we get some real time action.

post on this thread for links, vids, etc.

Re: 2017 Mike Stewart Pipeline Invitational

Hahaha thanks for posting this brother! Clicked on here earlier to do it, then found myself catching up on the Video Eye Candy thread. Clicked back right now to do it, and found your awesome post!

Hope someone can produce some sort of livestream, or at least share whatever content may be available right here!!

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

3 (edited by DALLYSFL 02.25.17 09:57)

Mike just posted on his Facebook page a livestream of Pipe. It's definitely on today. They were saying good West swell direction. 6ft Hawaiian. 8am (Hawaiian) start time. Mike said that they should be able to stream live action via Facebook live on his and the APB page.

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.

If you can handle no audio, the Surfline cam has about the best view of the event.  3 different cameras, but the fixed Pipe cam has the broad view. 
Yes, Grodzen got funded. All the info you are looking for is on social media regarding heat draws, etc.  Unfortunately, they had put three south Orange County guys all in the same first heat!  Beans, Grodzen and Cole Sullivan.  We'll see how it goes.

hawaiian DKers shredding

ron perlman

Thanks for posting that BBR. Some people are complaining they want a live feed. I personally don't have the time to sit by a computer watching and waiting for something to happen.

outstanding music choice

You can put a cat in an oven, but that don't make it a biscuit.

Sick edit!   One of the best I've seen for contest highlights.    And yes great music choice.....

Señor

u the gay man

Contest is live!

https://apbtour.com/live/

is it running shitty for anyone else?

ron perlman

seems better now, pumping

ron perlman

13 (edited by Dilliono 03.06.17 13:57)

Feed is really shitty for me. But good looking waves

Edit: seems better if you pull out the video/feed itself and just run it on Youtube vs the APB Tour site.

dhubb just got a mental one. this jump feed is PISSING ME OFF, but still better than nothing.

ron perlman

damn it's fucking pumping, that backflip was mennal

ron perlman

stream is hard to watch, but when it's not skipping and somebody gets a wave it's generally been an insane level of riding... post-spit exits from tubes into flips, etc.  so good.

Kinda unfortunate the stream wasnt better but saw some good waves today. Bp dominated an earlier heat with three really good waves. PLC and Hubb both looked really good from the heats I saw.

The final day edit should be sick!

"water my ass, get this guy some pepto bismo!"

Old fellas showing the young guns how it's done. Hubb, GT, BP and Alistair were all dominating. Iain Campbell and Alex Uranga ripped and deserved to be in the final. Shame about the stuttering stream.

belfrey wrote:

A lazy final day edition and a annoying music. Is that all APB?

If U think fuck is funny, fuck yourself and save your money!

Raf wrote:
belfrey wrote:

A lazy final day edition and a annoying music. Is that all APB?

Well it does say its a teaser..

Actually I'm going to have a whinge. Alex, Mike and the APB and everyone else that made the comp happen did the best they had with limited resources.
The comp happened. It was online to view, even if there was a few technical glitches but it was still watchable, and the scores were updated.

All the negative whinging on social media. People expecting something for free.. Saw people telling the APB on social media that they should be embarrassed that they were sponsored by Kellogg's. Even one of the pro bodyboarders said it. We struggle for sponsors and when we do get one that’s the crap we have to deal with.
Goes back to Nike pulling their offer off the table. Bodyboarding hates itself. Full of people that want to tear it down while a few hard working  people do their best to make things happen.
We should we patting them on the back and congratulating them for actually making it happen. Bodyboarding doesn’t have the budget of surfing or snowboarding yet people wont quit and still put on the best comps they can on the resources. Celebrate that. Own that shit. Don’t be negative!

^ Well said Ozoldboy.

That rug really held the room together.

those pierre waves in there are nuts

rookiesusa.com

26 (edited by jordanzs 03.09.17 16:11)

Ozoldboy wrote:

Actually I'm going to have a whinge. Alex, Mike and the APB and everyone else that made the comp happen did the best they had with limited resources.
The comp happened. It was online to view, even if there was a few technical glitches but it was still watchable, and the scores were updated.

All the negative whinging on social media. People expecting something for free.. Saw people telling the APB on social media that they should be embarrassed that they were sponsored by Kellogg's. Even one of the pro bodyboarders said it. We struggle for sponsors and when we do get one that’s the crap we have to deal with.
Goes back to Nike pulling their offer off the table. Bodyboarding hates itself. Full of people that want to tear it down while a few hard working  people do their best to make things happen.
We should we patting them on the back and congratulating them for actually making it happen. Bodyboarding doesn’t have the budget of surfing or snowboarding yet people wont quit and still put on the best comps they can on the resources. Celebrate that. Own that shit. Don’t be negative!

Whiners like to whine.   And the sport of bodyboarding attracts a certain contingent of whiny people who think they're entitled to everything.    They're probably the ones who assessed other sports & realized they had no chance to be sponsored, like in Skating, surfing, snowboarding, etc, so they jumped in on the bodyboarding world where they can fast-track themselves to hookups & bragging rights.

Most bodyboarders aren't like this, but enough of them are to the point that it gets annoying for us positive people to have to look at.

jordanzs wrote:

... it gets annoying for us positive people to have to look at.

spoken like a true positive minded person.

28 (edited by jordanzs 03.09.17 16:20)

I was there all 3 days, and I'm still somewhat surprised at the lack of spectators on the beach.  I've seen the beach be more crowded on a non-contest day.   I would think that since there isn't a webcast, more people would head up to watch it in person?    For some reason, that's not the case.   10 years ago, the beach was more crowded.    I wonder if this has anything to do with the move to late February/March?    Like tourists who come to Hawaii in January are pre-programmed to head to Pipe to watch a contest.

Makes it easier for us to park & get better camera angles, but still would be cool for the competitors to have more spectators.

jordanzs wrote:

I was there all 3 days, and I'm still somewhat surprised at the lack of spectators on the beach.  I've seen the beach be more crowded on a non-contest day.   I would think that since there isn't a webcast, more people would head up to watch it in person?    For some reason, that's not the case.   10 years ago, the beach was more crowded.    I wonder if this has anything to do with the move to late February/March?    Like tourists who come to Hawaii in January are pre-programmed to head to Pipe to watch a contest.

Makes it easier for us to park & get better camera angles, but still would be cool for the competitors to have more spectators.

Or... maybe it's that nobody gives a flying fuck about the bodyboarding contest except bodyboarders?

The beach looked like a goddam ghost town.

30 (edited by jordanzs 03.09.17 16:38)

mixelplix wrote:
jordanzs wrote:

Or... maybe it's that nobody gives a flying fuck about the bodyboarding contest except bodyboarders?

The beach looked like a goddam ghost town.

People used to give a flying fuck.    Check the photos of Jeff Hubbard being carried up the beach in 2007.

The beach was a ghost town.  It was a ghost town last year too.

31 (edited by mixelplix 03.09.17 16:50)

People get older, move different directions life, and their interests change. Here is a tissue for your pain.

https://www.kleenex.com/-/media/images/kleenex/products-new/moana/45892-01_kft_disney_moana_80ct_ctn_ocean_1.png

No pain.  I got parking spots quite easily, and had plenty of room to roam for camera angles.

You probably whined on Facebook about the lack of a webcast, didn't you?

33 (edited by mixelplix 03.09.17 17:28)

jordanzs wrote:

No pain.  I got parking spots quite easily, and had plenty of room to roam for camera angles.

You probably whined on Facebook about the lack of a webcast, didn't you?

Bahaha Jordanz coming back strong with the FB comment.

Be glad there was a Pipe contest this year. I bet after the old guard officially retires or cark it, the industry will dwindle further.

Yes I'm glad.   It was a great contest.

I'm stoked that everyone got good waves.  The DK & Women sure scored on day 2, and nice to see the swell & wind cooperate this past Monday.

35 (edited by SealBeachSponger 03.09.17 20:26)

Ozoldboy wrote:

Saw people telling the APB on social media that they should be embarrassed that they were sponsored by Kellogg's. Even one of the pro bodyboarders said it.

Could these be actual Hawaiian residents complaining? Because isn't Kelloggs a Monsanto company? And we know how they feel about that shit...
I remember that when I first saw Kelloggs as the main sponsor of the Hawaiian events last year, it seemed a little gawky and out of place but I do agree that we are in no place to be picky about sponsors.