36 (edited by jordanzs 08.31.10 18:04)

Re: surfmat candy

Jamo wrote:

some of the funnest sessions i have had were on waves i would not even ride on bodyboard.

hahahaha yup, that sounds like China Walls & Bomburas to me!

Thanks Jamo. I'm assuming with the car analogy you meant that the roundtail is not as fast as the krypt, but should be easier to handle for a newb like me? I was thinkin the round tail would help the thing hug the wave better than a square tail, like with surfboards...wonder if that's the intent? I've been a somewhat of a surfboard design nerd since my teenage years so this whole surf mat design thing is fascinating to me.

I just received this message from Paul:

"As you can imagine, we've gotten a big flurry of orders for the Tracker RT over the past week, since the sale is going off on Wednesday. So, my delivery time is getting pushed further back than usual.

Your Tracker should go out around September 21st. Delivery time after than is 2-3 days in the US, and 7-14 days overseas."

So looks like it'll be a few weeks Jordan.

so true about the wave thing i never would have got wet today if it wasnt for the mat
i rode south side hb for a couple hours on the 4th gear roundtail tracker and the way you could connect the outside to inside was insane. (only because the mat though) it felt like the sensation of being towed into 3 ft shorebreak with all the glide i was able to acheive reaching the inside peaks already at full speed allowed for a few pits too. 
finally starting to get some bearings on the mat after a few months. 

Jamo wrote:

every 7 years on mat  = 1 year on boogie exp wise

N.U.G.G.

"Surfers make sheep look like independent thinkers" Pat King

jordanzs wrote:
Jamo wrote:

some of the funnest sessions i have had were on waves i would not even ride on bodyboard.

^^huh??? real Chinas at low tide, 5ft plus Hawaiian is a pretty fine wave for bodyboarding, paipo, or whatever you want to ride. If the swell is in the 6-8ft+ range, you'd trip on some of the mysto spots that start to break in the vicinity too..

pic from the old days - bodyboarded days like that many times, no complaints
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5623/oldchinas.jpg

Jamo: how resilient are those mats against hitting / scraping reef damage? There's a few far paddle/ shallow spots on the SE & E sides that might be fun to ride on a mat.

I hesitate to name breaks, but "a few far paddle/ shallow spots on the SE & E sides" definitely came to mind for the mat. I've only lived in HI for 4 years and absolutely hate crowds so have spent a whole lot of time searching out the less convenient & more tradewind exposed spots. Zero local knowledge and always rolling solo has made it a challenge at times ha ha.

This talk about mat surfing & O'ahu jogged this unpleasant memory. This incident happened way before my time, but people on the windward side still talked about this 20+ yrs later.

from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa … ted_States
William S. Weaver, 15     December 13, 1958     Tiger shark     Killed while surfing on an air mattress near the Mokulua Islands off Lanikai, Oahu, Hawaii. His leg was severed. Rescue personnel recovering his body 2 hours later observed a 15–25-foot (4.6–7.6 m) shark in the vicinity.[31]

Hopefully the descendants of that shark no longer have a taste for mat surfers!!

og-azn wrote:
jordanzs wrote:
Jamo wrote:

^^huh??? real Chinas at low tide, 5ft plus Hawaiian is a pretty fine wave for bodyboarding, paipo, or whatever you want to ride. If the swell is in the 6-8ft+ range, you'd trip on some of the mysto spots that start to break in the vicinity too..

pic from the old days - bodyboarded days like that many times, no complaints
http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5623/oldchinas.jpg

Jamo: how resilient are those mats against hitting / scraping reef damage? There's a few far paddle/ shallow spots on the SE & E sides that might be fun to ride on a mat.

I have sliced a mat open on hb pier and on reef in san diego.both times i was riding  and the mat deflates instantly.
paddleing i have scraped quite a few times and seem to get lucky i have had a few minor scrapes and survived while riding but if its sharp and catches the fabric its over.
you can repair them pretty easy.if youmake a habit of  it you will probably have a patchwork mat.  loose mat washing up on rocks or jettys i have had great luck.

china walls looks really good for matting. Pat Caldwell used to talk  good about that spot.
a perfect mat wave i think would be puerto point, the way it gets fat before you get to the  inside rock the mat would eat that section up and you would make alot of waves
through that no one else could ride.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_QB77OGZ3f-I/THu0KWmH-kI/AAAAAAAABSg/G-0vrUOhGAw/s1600/RJSitting.JPG

Yeah I wasn't gonna mention the ideal conditions when Chinas is good, but since it's out in the open.

I still think it's rarely a good bodyboarding wave.  Occasionally it's on though.  And that swell we had in March was meeeean.  I sponged it on Saturday morning & got some long ones.  Biggest wave I caught that day though turned into a heaving mass of closeout & that I couldn't outrun, and ended up getting tumbled & swept way the heck out to the middle of nowhere.  Ended up swimming forever against the current to get in at Pillars.

Waves like that make me wonder if a mat would have enough open face speed to conquer them.

I dunno how the mat would fare at the other lesser known spots in the region.  They're more on the slabby reef style, or the type of waves that you need a longboard to fade from section to section.

^I was on that swell on march too, in the evening, I think that was better than any we have had all summer. The wave was unreal then for sure, peaking ~40yards from the cliff and peeling down far out into the bay. You're definitely right about it being rarely good though. Long wait between ridable waves, hard to get past the finger without a real swell and fickle with the tide. More than a few guys on it and its usually not worth the wait for what you get.

Sounds like you're mixing the spot we used to call "Portlock Point" with Chinas aka China Walls. 2 distinctly different breaks. When I was in the area a few weeks ago, I did notice the younger generation called the whole area China Walls. The break right next to the cliff /wall (Point) is super fun if you can connect all the way past the "fingers", but yes, not the ideal prone bodyboarding wave. China Walls, further out in the bay starting over the boils, is a different story. Pretty sick for any kind of riding from 5ft & up. To each his own I guess.

Thanks for the info on mat durability Jamo. I thought maybe w/ new technology the modern mats would be more puncture / tear resistant. It's pretty easy to scrape bottom on the way out/in at some of the spots I'm thinking about on O'ahu.  It would be a long tiring swim back if your mat deflated.

Yeah, I call the China Walls the spot on other side of the barrel.  Besides that, there's 1) The Wall, 2) Point, 3) Fingers.

cool. thanks guys. I had wondered if the wave along the cliff & the one that breaks (rarely) over the reef heads further out had different names.

20 questions with Jamo.

1. Hey Jamo, when are you bringing the beard back?

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g19/wklein/jamo.jpg

Got my mat earlier than expected & tried it out at cliffs (diamond head) in waist to shoulder high semi-choppy conditions yesterday morning. Only caught ~6 waves but I'm hooked. First wave I tried to ride it like a boogie...doesn't work well at all. 2nd wave I tried to focus on staying close to the mat and holding both sides of the forward "rails." Dropped in, put pressure on the front with my arms and the whole thing felt like it inflated underneath me. It was like riding on a fucking cloud. So damn cool. Didn't try to burn off any big bottom turns or carve at all but it was more maneuverable than I expected. Ate shit a bunch too. The duckdiving was a big bitch but maybe I can get the motion down better. So that's my first impression anyway. Thanks for the tips Jamo!

^^ How is the speed?  Do you feel like you're going faster than on a sponge?

^ yes you go faster

N.U.G.G.

"Surfers make sheep look like independent thinkers" Pat King

i wilwl see your surfmat and raise you candy cane! i love waves riding!

For those interested: had my second session out at Bomburas today. Not a very powerful wave but clean, 2-4ft with a handful of 5s. mostly inexperienced stand-ups out there as usual so it was easy to just sit a little inside of them and pick off whatever came through. made it around some sections that would have been way tougher on a boogie. overall, I think the session would have been pretty shithouse on my shortboard or bb but the mat was a good time.
Older local guy on an LB paddled up to me and said he remembered Pat O'Neil (of the wetsuit co) and Greenough riding mats out here way back in the day. Thought that was cool.

54 (edited by Jamo 09.15.10 08:13)

joiedevivre wrote:

For those interested: had my second session out at Bomburas today. Not a very powerful wave but clean, 2-4ft with a handful of 5s. mostly inexperienced stand-ups out there as usual so it was easy to just sit a little inside of them and pick off whatever came through. made it around some sections that would have been way tougher on a boogie. overall, I think the session would have been pretty shithouse on my shortboard or bb but the mat was a good time.
Older local guy on an LB paddled up to me and said he remembered Pat O'Neil (of the wetsuit co) and Greenough riding mats out here way back in the day. Thought that was cool.

stoked for you sounds like you found a good spot if GG and oneil rode it back in the day it . watched a few vids of "bombouras" and it looks like a good mat wave.
once you get the basics down look for a long point type wave i would think threes would be ideal.
on the longer rides you can spend a lil time moving around on mat and explore diff sweet spots to  get your top speeds up.
you can progress faster at a point in some areas of mat riding esp trimming etc.

the lil bunny isle outside of makapu might be a really good spot once you have a few years riding under you.
not sure how small you can start to ride makaha point but smaller days there could be great it reminds me of a point i ride in cali thats on a 10x smaller size scale but backdooring towards the bowl is supefun.
anywhere you see SUP guys riding  you will probably also have fun

you basicly have all the MAT waves to yourself even if you ride at crowded spots you will find waves that come through that are great for you  that no one wants, i can get  the left at trestles when the peak is fat for a few secondes and backs off the surfers all kick out i pick up on it right there no one else can catch it  and it lines up on the inside for 50 yards perfect peeling bowls.

how  much degree of bend are you at when your in the water ?
the roundtail is a biatch to duck compared to a kryptmat 23 breaths to fill vs 14.
they duck easier and go faste at lower inflations but paddle and catch waves a lil worse .
this is why i end up useing giant udt diver type fins so i can run super low inflations
more of a workout paddling around though

INSERT YOUR MAT HERE
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhl0OrKk8GM[/youtube]

word. thanks for the intel! I've been wanting to get to that left off of rabbit island with the right wind for years ha ha. Took the mat out at threes and then fours this evening. Humbling once again but the best session yet. Inconsistent 2-3 (faces) but man did I get some long ones and lucked into some great speed. Got a couple with like a 1 foot bowl that came up ahead and the mat felt like it got pulled through it. The whole session definitely would have been a waste of time competing with the waikiki crowd on a bb or surfboard. Makaha would be sick this winter for sure.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c58gG5kWR4U[/youtube]

one of the uk guys  posted this

"First part, Thunders, maiden voyage on MT5
2nd part, Greenbushes, mainden voyage go on the RTT
3rd part, same Thunders session
Last wave, 4 Bobs, neumatic

Probably road mats a bit more than my bodyboard(it got snapped and shredded on a wave towards end of the trip), most time on mats on 4GF standard (old faithful) & Nue.

Was very rusty, as unfortunately only had two or 3 mat surfs in the last year before the trip, and so took me a while to get positioning, inflation even half decent  As always (I promise...) it was the rides not on film towards later part of the trip when it seemed to come together (head down, up front of mat), but to be honest a lot of the waves were so dam heavy for the size, fast off the take off, that I really had my work cut out. Once I had a nice shoulder then wall to play with, could relax, adjust positioning and really get the speed up through sections.

Even put on a mentawais mat meet, with 5 mates riding mats for the 1st time, which was quite a laugh !

The trip was fun, but it's always after that I really start analysising what I should have done (i.e. which mat would have been best suited to individual waves, inflation & positioning), but it pushed me in the right direction up the mat learning curve "

"Due to the shallow (and sharp) nature of the reefs (hence why you always get barreled "off your tits" in the Mentawais), I tended to be ultra cautious on what I took off on. I was not taking off on any wave I did not think I had a half decent chance of making, as you really do not want to risk loosing hold of the mat (probably would be different if I was twenty and did not worry about such things, but with age comes realisation of danger!).

My wave count would have been greatly increased if was surfing beachies, as I would not have been that bothered about loosing the mat, as been an easy swim to retrieve. Only lost hold of the mat on 5 occassions, luckily no punctures even though twice it ended up on sharp rocks, once luckily it popped out infront of me, and the other two occassions resulted in having to "starfish" over shallow reef to retrieve it."

cool vid man. That in and out was sick. It'll be a long while before I'm ready for any real waves over shallow reef. I forgot to answer your inflation query...I'm trying to keep the mat around 90 degree bend or a little less. I've tried it at like a 75deg bend on a few waves and it was a lot tougher to get into them but could tell a big difference when/if i finally wrestled it into a half-decent trimming position. I fully inflated it for the long paddle out yesterday, a nice advantage compared to paddling a 6'0" thruster out there.

joiedevivre wrote:

cool vid man. That in and out was sick. It'll be a long while before I'm ready for any real waves over shallow reef. I forgot to answer your inflation query...I'm trying to keep the mat around 90 degree bend or a little less. I've tried it at like a 75deg bend on a few waves and it was a lot tougher to get into them but could tell a big difference when/if i finally wrestled it into a half-decent trimming position. I fully inflated it for the long paddle out yesterday, a nice advantage compared to paddling a 6'0" thruster out there.

if you look at his video from last year you can see he has progressed alot.

not quite sure what hes doing with mat on the in and out . ive done whatever i had to at wedge to make it work
sometimes when the axe is about to fall you get creative
the TRT is  a mat im still playing with to find  perfect inflation levels
for refrence folded in 1/2 is a 180 bend  folded like the letter "L" is 90
i useally run at a 180 bend on my standerd style mats. the krypt im rolling 165 .
when i started i was useally running a 90 but once i found the glide of the 180 bend i was really hooked on it.
you know when its deflated to far when the mat keeps bending under your hips when you lay on it in water.
i love the krypt mats valve casue i can  deflate it while im laying on it and really feel when its perfect.
on the other valves i have to hop off add or remove and hop on to check .

if you have to cross  dryish reefs on the TRT flip it upside down so the  canvas is on the bottem
its alot tuffer then the bottem skin . if it gets a cut you can patch the top and no harm to the bottem surface you normally ride on :)

Wow, this thread is still going. You guys inspired me to jump on a vintage mat a couple weeks ago in SF. Waves were mellow, shoulder high with occasional hollow sections. Caught a bunch of fun waves. Pulled into a couple barrels, but the mat I was on is a lot wider than the modern mats, so the lip kept hitting the outside edge pushing me out through the curtain. It's fun being able to ride with your head way out over the "nose" and not pearl & the "lift" you get going around broken sections is pretty cool. I give anybody who can get a mat out on a decent size day at spots without a big channel a lot of credit. I couldn't figure out a reliable way to dunk it, and using longboard techniques to get under waves was only partially successful. I could imagine getting slaughtered on an average fall/winter day in my area if I tried to take a mat out. Like the guy who posted the video says, losing the mat is a big hassle. I lost mine once on a closeout and that thing literally flies to shore. I swear the mat was up on dry sand before I even broke the surface. No reef hazards where I'm at, but when I got to shore I found a gang of inbred toddlers attacking my mat. 2 were jumping on top of it, and the other 2 were kicking it; wtf??!!

Jamo wrote:

if you look at his video from last year you can see he has progressed alot.

not quite sure what hes doing with mat on the in and out . ive done whatever i had to at wedge to make it work
sometimes when the axe is about to fall you get creative
the TRT is  a mat im still playing with to find  perfect inflation levels
for refrence folded in 1/2 is a 180 bend  folded like the letter "L" is 90
i useally run at a 180 bend on my standerd style mats. the krypt im rolling 165 .
when i started i was useally running a 90 but once i found the glide of the 180 bend i was really hooked on it.
you know when its deflated to far when the mat keeps bending under your hips when you lay on it in water.
i love the krypt mats valve casue i can  deflate it while im laying on it and really feel when its perfect.
on the other valves i have to hop off add or remove and hop on to check .

if you have to cross  dryish reefs on the TRT flip it upside down so the  canvas is on the bottem
its alot tuffer then the bottem skin . if it gets a cut you can patch the top and no harm to the bottem surface you normally ride on :)

Right on. Will def flip it over when I venture over reefier areas. Yeah I had the bend degree backwards ha ha. Can't believe you can ride these things at 180! I'm glad I went with a 4th gear for my 1st mat but now I'm toying with the idea of selling a semi-gun and getting a krypt for north shore, but I'm in no rush. Is the krypt deck material any easier on your skin? As much as I like that the TRT deck fabric is plenty tough enough to not worry about tearing it when I'm yanking it through the whitewash I've got to wear a 1mm long sleeve top to keep from getting rawed up by the fabric. Thanks bro!

anyone interested in a used mat (they outlast boards) drop me an email at
havematwilltravel@yahoo.com

Also I wouldn't bother with the cheapie mats they aren't in the same ballpark
and don't last. I'm more than glad to answer any questions for mat newbies

nice lil bowl

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_5NYaeheo92I/TH2PpihuntI/AAAAAAAAA_0/d5-JfCK4NUA/s1600/IMG_1801.jpg

thats what happens when u complain a lot, u end up riding a mat and talking about "spots".

"oooh ooooh oooh everybody is watching" you stupid idiot.

Before we get away from the message of fun
I would like to invite anyone seeking to know more about mats to check out

http://ukmatsurfers.forumotion.com/forum.htm

if you decide it is for you I would give Dale Solomonson of Neumatic surfcraft a call
he is a fountain of information regarding all sorts of craft
had he kept making bodyboards they would be a lot more advanced than they are.
As it stands he makes custom mats by hand in his shop
that go  unreal

^cool link. I've decided to sell a gun and buy an mt5 for this winter. probably going to pass the TRT onto my brother. No way I can justify spending close to $400 for one of dale's mats when I'm still a total newbie at this.

give him an email he'll hook you up with people in your area with mats
...word on the street about the guy behind
krypt mt5 is that he is trying to pull an Eddie over the mat industry.
Whether or not that is true is hard to say, because unlike Dale or Paul
you won't get much support from him...that to me says it all.

^word. Granted I've only lived here for 4 years, haven't seen any mats, but there's bound to be some cool people cruisin on'em.
     If you don't mind me asking, what exactly does "you won't get much support from him" mean? Paul Gross went out of his way to ship my mat early when I told him how stoked I was to try mat surfing. And from his blog surfmatters he def seems like he's all about the stoke and less about the $$$...definitely like supporting that mindset.
     At the same time, I'm scrapin by over here and kinda need a bit more than rumor to turn down a $150 mat that sounds a little better suited to country conditions.

^ i personally met Mark thompson at the mat meet seemed like a great guy whos heart was in the right place.
in an email he told me i was onthe team and offered me a great price on all future mats .
he did not make me sign a contract or tell me i had to stop riding  my other mats just a really nice open ended no strings offer !
^^not sure exactly what pulling an eddie entails but i know he was on a materials expedition for Dale when he was in asia and the whole pop out mat thing just sort of happened .
i would not be supprised if dale was dirrectly partnered in a small way to the mt5 sales.Mark said  he put up somewhere in the range of 50k to start the ball rolling on this
I am stoked he did because solid  150 $ mats with no wait time kicks ass.
he will definetly have to move more volume to make it work .
I have absolutly nothing bad to say about Dale Mark or Paul

http://www.kryptsurf.com/light-blue-carve.jpg
http://www.kryptsurf.com/blue-cuttie.jpg
http://www.kryptsurf.com/Taiwan-Tube.jpg

so Dale, Mark & Paul = "mat industry" :)

lol I use the term industry loosely but Mark probably wouldn't
gimme an email. I'm not affiliated with anyone, and like to believe the best in people
but some things rub you the wrong way