Topic: surfmat candy

http://hydrodynamica.blogspot.com/2009/ … rosis.html

nice little video at this link

Re: surfmat candy

is there a turbo button on this thing yamo? shit looks reallly reallly fast.

"Girls are on the binary system 1's and 0's"

jesus he was flying

holy hell that's fast

I met some surf mat riders from oregon who were down in socal for a surf trip and they were claiming that Jamo is the Kelly Slater of surf matting world.............

wheres a good place to buy a surfmat?

Erica Schneekloth: I'd bang her. I've always wanted to fuck myself

http://surfmatters.blogspot.com/2009/06 … assic.html
cheapest entry level mat

dang pretty expensive.
whats the difference between that mat and the 30$ ones i've been seeing?

\that clip was pretty cool, that guy was fucking hauling ass.

Ak all day

Door knob wrote:

two microns of plastic

Part sucka,part wimp,= simp.....all bad news my nigga.

http://www.allaboutsurf.com/articles/matafesto?pg=8

Ron Lawl wrote:
Door knob wrote:

two microns of plastic

do you have one i could try brah?

13 (edited by Jamo 08.29.10 06:20)

Stuart, it seems expensive but thats only because you are compareing it to a 30 dollar mass produced pos.
the mats i ride are handmade only 2 people in the world are competent to make them .
the Dale models 
http://neumaticsurfcraft.homestead.com/
(neumatics) range between 250-400$ and have 6-24 month wait time for delivery !
the Paul mats (4th gear flyer )
http://fourthgearflyer.com/
165-285 and take 2 weeks or less for delivery

as of july 2010
there is now a 3rd great option
http://www.kryptsurf.com/BUY%20MT5.htm
150 $ shipped this is a hi preformance mat that can still glide esp at lower air levels has advantage of riding better at higher ir levels then most mat .
most boogie like mat so far

we tried to make some in the backyard cost 70$ just for the fabric and it was much more involved then making a boogie.
absolutly no room for errors . 135 is  an incredible deal to get  a decent mat.

i have a few extras if anyone wants to try em before commiting the  $ .
prepare to be humbled my first session i caught 0 waves
spent 2 hours wrestling with a waterbed.learning curve is  opposite of a  boogie.
im still learning something new  every session
i think its something similar to dog human years ratio
every 7 years on mat  = 1 year on boogie exp wise

http://vimeo.com/14432622

top turn at 4:20 was feeling really good to me.

i feel like i would be a blue belt if this was jui jitsu.
still so much to learn

sorry but that just doesnt look that cool to me

what good fun

buddy matt killin it with the orange fins stoked to see this

Watched those videos last night Jamo. Awesome stuff! Keep 'em coming! Seriously contemplating this......Looks super fun. You really can go as fast as it looks? Looks like dudes can make any section on these things. I could imagine Lani's rights up here for days on one of those things...

JamesKellyDawson wrote:

Watched those videos last night Jamo. Awesome stuff! Keep 'em coming! Seriously contemplating this......Looks super fun. You really can go as fast as it looks? Looks like dudes can make any section on these things. I could imagine Lani's rights up here for days on one of those things...

Fuck man Lani's does sound fun one one of those things. Been out a couple solid days there and got sucked over on so many sections because the wave was just flew down the line.

FUCK L.A.

Yeah. Lani's is sickkkkkkkkk.. Bigger it gets, the faster it gets. After 5 foot, its too fast for the boogie, but methinks one of those surf mats would be able to keep up with that speed...

20 (edited by joiedevivre 08.28.10 20:30)

too fast for the boogie @ 6ft? Neva knew, but I'm usually on a 6'8" once its OH out there. Gets fuckin hectic for sure.

edit: and wonder how quick you'd loose a matt getting caught inside anywhere heavy, I assume you can't put a leash on'em...or duckdive.

21 (edited by jordanzs 08.29.10 01:18)

Hahahaha yeah I was thinking the same thing about Lani's.  There's been some days at China Walls too where a faster board would've been epic!

Hey James.....whad'ya think:

"We’re offering a deal on quiver purchases…buy two 4GF’s, and get a third mat for free. Any combination of mats is valid…but the first two mats must be of the same or greater value than the third. This offer does not apply to Sale Items. Use our Contact page to let Paul know which mats you want."

Get 1 more person on board, and each of us save $100.

22 (edited by Jamo 08.29.10 06:21)

Lanis would be a challenge ,esp as it got bigger .i watched some videos  of the break and did see some waves that would be really good .
this day looks ideal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJGySK64ixA
the one i think you would want is the one where the section goes fat  but there is a bowl you need to get through ahead and down the line. the mat is good at crossing the fat section and tapping into the bowl ahead. alot of the times it feels like i am doing tow ins.
they are  good at tapping into  the bottem of the wave you can take a line into what you used to think was the flats and not get sucked back towards the white water so its very easy to go low around huge sections w/o bogging.
leashes are probably never going to be an option depending on model  (some have more air in them and  any of them if you fully inflate it will be almost impossible to duck) they can duckdive from fair to poor.
they go over the foam really good and you can hop foam up to about 3 foot before you have to duck it. to duck i just bend the mat in half and pull the front half of the mats fabric under water  which shifts all the air to the tail half
i try to pull the whole thing under water  and as wave hits i let air flip from rear to front .its very different in that you have to think of it as a towel or string where you can pull them fine but you cant push them.
so when you try to get on board you reach back to tail and pull it under you as opposed to  pushing it under your body from nose like you do on a boogie.
they feel like you are riding a hovercraft you never really sink into the water on them. on a boogie there is a critical amount of push and as you go under that it feels like the board sinks down into the water and you are sort of semi bodysurfing with legs sunk down into the water,on the mat its up on top of the water already so you get pushed by almost anything and get up to top speed really easy .

they are very comfterble to lay on i have almost dozed off on them.

I just got a 3 pack from Paul at 4gf his deal was 3 tracker roundtails for 450 .
one is a backup/loaner and the other my buddie matt with orange fins in video grabbed, hes riding an xl in that video.

so i cant pitch in  im  probably getting one more krypt mat for a backup. after that my next would be a dale solmonson numatic .
but if you email paul  i think he will cut you a deal on 2 mats.

if you start mat riding do not give up...give it some time i commited one month  to only riding mats when i started so i could give it a fair trial .
you will probably feel like a total kook the first session i think the first time i went out i did not catch a wave.
it is humbleing i thought i would just hop on it and rip since i was a bodyboarder ...
its also  really fun cause your such a newb and you have no clue whats goin to happen on every ride.
alot of the first few days i spent unlearning what was natural to me on bodyboard.
I am still trying to shake alot of my old bodyboard style.

do not inflate them fully they go slower the more air you have in them ,
you squezze the nose and rail with arm and build pressure up in tail and opposite rail then release  to fly down the line after you get the turn out.
think magic towel

another great option 150$ very good mat maybe best mat for "real waves"
http://www.kryptsurf.com/BUY%20MT5.htm

JamesKellyDawson wrote:

Yeah. Lani's is sickkkkkkkkk.. Bigger it gets, the faster it gets. After 5 foot, its too fast for the boogie, but methinks one of those surf mats would be able to keep up with that speed...

You obviously have not surfed big Lanis, or seen Kelly ride out there.

http://www.hisurfadvisory.com/sesh/new6/images/061022_01.jpg

For that speed thing, great respect for folks who know how to leverage the speed. But it is tougher with that tradewind chop that is so prevalent here. Not the same as smooth Cali point breaks. Don't make absolute statements.

One thing about mats is you cannot duck dive them very well. Trying to punch through a wave of any consequence would be real tough. I popped a Surfster toy mat at Sandys trying to pull it through even a smallish head-high wave.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGXHPbv5 … re=related[/youtube]

N.U.G.G.

"Surfers make sheep look like independent thinkers" Pat King

So I’d assume most wave-riders have heard of Greenough, if not, back in the 60s he had a huge influence on board design & the way people ride waves. Until this thread reminded me of him I hadn't tried to look for much current info about the guy, I always heard he was sorta reclusive & pretty eccentric...never thought he'd have a webpage:
http://www.georgegreenough.com/George_G … /Home.html
the scrapbook is tight, fuck I want to live that life.
surfing, kneeboarding, mats, windsurfing, sailing, surf films...dudes like a guru. Wish more people were that open minded & creative in the surfing world.

urfucked wrote:

sorry but that just doesnt look that cool to me

Agree!

The video up top....i question, it looks like it is sped up...Although, if not, it looks like the guy is going mach 2...

regardless, the thing is not functional for getting barrelled (isnt that the whole point of wave riding).

"Perhaps you would like to enter your favourite quote or your star sign."  - Camel getting all sentimental

27 (edited by joiedevivre 08.30.10 18:09)

I wouldn't say that the whole point of wave riding is to get tube. That might be why you ride waves & that's totally cool, but I'd say the vast majority of wave riding is done in non-barreling waves. I have never ridden a mat, but def wouldn't be opposed to trying it. Hell most stand-up surfers would say bbing doesn't look cool to them...but they've most likely never given it a good go.

edit: tubed

28 (edited by jordanzs 08.30.10 21:21)

In Bali, there's a spot between Padang Padang & Bingin called Impossibles.

I would really love to see that mat be put to the test at Impossibles!!!!  That would sell me on it's functionality.

And what would be epic is to have a valve that can deflate it within about 10 seconds, and some kind of lightweight waterproof built in pump that's attached to it.  Then you can deflate if a big cleanup shows its jaws & reinflate afterwards.

Great ideas Jordan. Diggin' 'em.

30 (edited by joiedevivre 08.31.10 16:42)

so I'm def gonna spring for a mat...it'll help bring my hatred of the surf industry full circle. The krypt Mt5 looks cool, but I think I'm gonna go with the 4th gear tracker roundtail

Edit: Just bought it. Broadening my horizons...hopefully. If this mat is fun, maybe I'll try to build a flexspoon next ha ha. I'll let all the skeptics know my impression after a few sessions. Thinkin D-head would be a good place for starters. Any recommendations on spots to test drive this thing Jordan or Neal? I very much doubt I'll be able to pull off that super complicated duckdive Jamo described so that sorta limits the options.

roundtail = caddilac
krypt = ferrari

^well the roundtail is bought. I don't plan to take it out in serious waves any time soon so cadillac sounds alright to me.

33 (edited by jordanzs 08.31.10 17:32)

I would say China Walls or Bomburas would be ideal.  You want a walled up non hollow wave to push the speed.  I think that small diamond head would be horrible, that's a wave where you always gotta cut back to maintain yourself on the wave.

I would be stoked to meet up with you & try it out.  I work in Hawaii Kai & live in Town, and can meet wherever.

^yeah for sure Jordan. I'll e-mail ya when it comes in.

joiedevivre wrote:

^well the roundtail is bought. I don't plan to take it out in serious waves any time soon so cadillac sounds alright to me.

right on you already have an f1 car in yer bodyboard so the caddilac is probably the best.

the duckdive is easier then it sounds .

i would recomend threes .
stay away from legdgeing waves at first.
its easier to  bottem turn if the bowl is coming from behind you places like wedge from peak and blacks where the drop has the bowl coming at you are not  easy at all.

some of the funnest sessions i have had were on waves i would not even ride on bodyboard.
i am sure you will find lots of uncrowded stuff to ride.